Vacations are supposed to be a time of rest and relaxation, but accidents and injuries can and do happen while on vacation. Vacation accidents and injuries can involve a wide variety of circumstances and causes. Some common types of vacation accidents include:
What to Do If Injured While on Vacation
If you are injured while on vacation – whether close to home, out-of-state, or in another country – there are several things that you should do.
- Seek prompt medical attention. Request and retain copies of all medical records, documentation, and receipts.
- Report the accident. If you were in a car accident, you should immediately report the accident to the police and request a copy of the police report. If you slipped and fell while on vacation – such as in a restaurant or at your hotel – you should file an incident report with the hotel or restaurant management and request a copy of the report.
- Take photos. Regardless of the type of accident, you should take photos of scene of the accident. Since vacationers often visit new and unfamiliar places, the photos can serve as a reminder of the locale and surrounding area once you have returned home.
- Obtain names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Inform your insurance company about the accident, but be careful when speaking to other parties involved in the accident. For instance, you should avoid giving a recorded statement to the insurance company of the hotel or other party involved in the accident.
- Consult with an experienced accident attorney. Depending on the circumstances of your personal injury accident, complex legal issues may be involved. For instance, there might be issues regarding comparative negligence or you may have signed a complicated liability release. A personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and advocate on your behalf to get you the financial recovery that you deserve. Because most personal injury lawyers, including the Chicago accident attorneys at Ankin Law Office, LLC, work on a contingency fee arrangement, they do not collect compensation unless and until you obtain financial recovery.
The Chicago accident and injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office are dedicated to promoting safety and protecting the victims of personal injury accidents, including visitors to and residents of Chicago and the surrounding area. If you have been injured in a personal injury accident while on vacation, contact our office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Chicago personal injury lawyers.