Trains and other forms of public transportation allow Chicago area residents and visitors to easily move in and around the city. Unfortunately, train accidents can occur just like with any other mode of transportation and, because of the size of trains and the number of passengers aboard, the injuries are often severe and numerous. In fact, a train crash earlier this week involving two CTA Blue Line trains resulted in 33 injuries.
Train accidents, including derailments, collisions, fires, and crossing accidents can happen for a number of reasons, including driver error and equipment malfunction. Whatever the type or cause, there are certain things that every train passenger needs to know in the event that they are in a train accident.
What to Do Following a Train Accident
- Listen to all announcements and follow the directions given by the train personnel.
- Escape the train safely and quickly. Look for an emergency exit or emergency door release switch. If you cannot open the doors, look for an emergency exit window.
- Contact emergency services and the police when you are out of danger.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not have any noticeable signs of injuries, you may wish to seek medical attention. Some injuries, like whiplash and back injuries, can take days and weeks to develop. Retain all copies of medical bills and medical records.
- Consult with a knowledgeable Chicago train accident attorney, like those at Ankin Law Office, LLC, as soon as possible. You may be entitled to money damages in a personal injury lawsuit following a train accident. Our attorneys can advise you of your rights, communicate with insurance companies, and advocate on your behalf to get you the compensation that you need and deserve, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future income
- Household services
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disability
- Property damages
Contact a Chicago Injury Lawyer Today
The Chicago train accident lawyers at Ankin Law Office, LLC are committed to helping the injured passengers of trains and buses obtain full and fair financial recovery after a public transportation accident. Train crashes and other mass transit accidents often involve complex issues regarding liability, and there may be multiple possible defendants. Moreover, because mass transit accidents frequently involve a large number of victims, a class action lawsuit may be appropriate to settle issues of liability and damages. Accordingly, it is important to consult with an attorney who focuses on complex accident and injury cases, as well as class action lawsuits.
At Ankin Law Office, our experienced Chicago mass transit lawyers focus on representing the victims if train accidents, bus accidents, and other mass transit accidents. We are well-versed in the legal complexities and requirements of class action lawsuits, as well as the complicated factual and legal issues that come into play in a train accident lawsuit. We are dedicated to helping the victims of mass transit accidents obtain full and fair financial recovery.
If you have been injured in a train or bus accident, do not hesitate to contact Ankin Law Offices at (312) 600-0000 to schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable Chicago accident and injury lawyers.