Like any large metropolis, Chicago’s streets are filled with taxicabs transporting tourists, residents, commuters, and others around the city. Not only do taxicab drivers have an obligation to obey the rules of the road like all motorists, but, as a “common carrier” available for hire, they have an obligation to exercise the highest degree of care in when transporting passengers. The failure to do so can result in liability for any injuries, damages, and deaths that occur as a result of a taxicab accident.
If you were injured in a taxicab accident – either as a passenger in the taxicab or as another motorist on the road, you may be able to recover money damages for your injuries. There are several things that you should know, however, about how to proceed after a taxicab accident so that you can protect your legal rights.
- If you are another motorist in a taxicab-auto accident, you should immediately stop your car.
- Whether a motorist or a passenger, you should check for injuries and get medical attention. Some injuries, like whiplash takes several hours or days to develop symptoms, so you may wish to seek medical attention even if you show no visible signs of injury.
- Notify the police and obtain a copy of the police report.
- Obtain the contact information of all other parties to the taxicab accident, including the taxicab driver’s name, affiliated cab company, and any other motorists or pedestrians.
- Obtain the names and contact information of any witnesses to the taxicab accident.
- If you are a motorist involved in a taxicab accident, you should avoid making any comments about whether you are at fault.
- If you are a motorist involved in a taxicab accident, you should inform your insurance company of the accident but avoid signing any documents or giving any official statements until you have consulted with an attorney.
- Obtain and maintain all important information regarding the taxicab accident, including police reports, medical records, and all receipts pertaining to your recovery following the taxicab accident.
- Consult with a knowledgeable Chicago taxicab accident attorney, like those at Ankin Law Office, as soon as possible. Personal injury actions have strict a statute of limitations during which time the lawsuit can be filed. It is important that you promptly consult with a skilled personal injury lawyer like the Chicago personal injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office, LLC in order to learn more about your legal rights, to file all legal documents within the necessary time limits, and to begin a comprehensive factual investigation as soon as possible.
If you were injured in an Illinois taxicab accident, contact Ankin Law Office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Chicago auto accident lawyers.