Workplace accidents can have significant and long-lasting consequences. Medical bills may be mounting and you may suffer from injuries that leave you unable to work. Moreover, you are probably confused about your legal rights and how to obtain workers’ compensation benefits.
The preeminent Chicago workers’ compensation law firm of Ankin Law Office, LLC focuses on helping the victims of workplace accidents obtain the full and fair recovery to which they are entitled under workers’ compensation laws and any other applicable legal theories.
Under Illinois law, injured employees are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits regardless of who was at fault for the accident, but it is important that you take certain steps to protect your legal rights, including the following:
- Obtain medical attention as soon as possible. Make sure to retain all medical records and medical bills. Generally, the employee may choose the provider where he or she seeks treatment. If the employer has established a “Preferred Provider Program” (PPP), the employee may choose any two providers within in the program. First aid and emergency medical care are not considered to be one of the employee’s two choices. If the employer does not have a PPP, then the employee may choose any two medical providers.
- Promptly notify your supervisor of the accident and the resulting injuries. Under Illinois law, you must notify your employer within 45 days of the date of the accident in order to receive workers’ compensation benefits, but it is highly recommended that you notify your employer as soon as possible.
- Return to work as soon as you are able to do so. A workers’ compensation claim can be filed up to two years after the injury occurred so even if you have returned to work, you may still be able to pursue a workers’ compensation claim for any previous lost wages.
- File an Application for Adjustment of Claim form with the Illinois Industrial Commission within three (3) years of the date of accident or within two (2) years from the last payment of weekly workers’ compensation benefits, whichever is later.
- Consult with a knowledgeable Illinois workplace accident attorney. The skilled Chicago workers’ compensation attorneys at Ankin Law Office have considerable knowledge and experience handling any and all legal claims that may arise out of a workplace accident, including workers’ compensation benefits and any third-party causes of action that might apply. We will guide you through the maze of legal obligations so that you preserve your legal rights and we will vigorously advocate on your behalf to get you the full recovery available, including pursuing any third-party causes of action.
Because we focus on accident and injury law, we are able to assemble a team of medical and vocational experts to help support your claims. Moreover, our vast experience with the Illinois workers’ compensation system allows us to navigate the applicable processes and procedures efficiently and effectively. If there are any disputes about your workers’ compensation claim, we will advocate on your behalf in order to adequately assert your legal position.
If you have been injured in a workplace accident, contact one of our Chicago workers’ compensation attorneys at (312) 600-0000 to learn more about how we can help you get the workers’ compensation benefits you need and deserve.