Unsafe food products are responsible for millions illnesses and thousands of deaths each year. Food products can become tainted due to improper storage, handling, or preparation, causing consumers to become ill with diseases such as e.coli, salmonella, norovirius, shigella, campylobacter jejuni or listeria. Moreover, food products may be contaminated with dangerous items, such as metal or plastic pieces, which are not meant to be eaten and can injure a consumer if ingested.
The Chicago unsafe food attorneys at Ankin Law Offices, LLC are skilled personal injury lawyers who will diligently work to pursue your unsafe food product lawsuit. Contact our office to schedule a free consultation to learn more about food product liability laws and to discuss whether you may have a case.
Causes of Dangerous Food Products
There are a variety of causes of unsafe food products, including:
- Inadequate or improper packaging and storage. When foods are not properly packaged or stored, they may become unsafe to eat. For instance, dairy products must be kept cold in order to be safe. Dented cans and opened containers can also cause products to spoil.
- Improper processing. When foods are not properly processed, dangerous bacteria can grow and cause consumers to become sick. For instance, improper pasteurization may cause milk to spoil.
- Unsafe ingredients. Certain processed foods and dietary supplements may contain dangerous ingredients that cause serious adverse effects.
- Improper labeling. When food products are not properly labeled with ingredient and allergen information, a consumer may have adverse reactions to the food product if he or she is intolerant or allergic to a specific ingredient in the food product.
- Animal pathogens. Certain foods that are derived from animals, such as beef, chicken or eggs, may cause consumers to become sick if the animal carried a disease that is transferrable to humans, such as mad cow disease or e.coli bacteria.
Unsafe Food Lawsuits
In order to successfully pursue a lawsuit involving unsafe food products or food poisoning, the victim must prove that the defendant negligently or intentionally failed to properly handle, prepare or store the unsafe food product, which caused the food to become contaminated and resulted in illness or injury to the plaintiff. Lawsuits involving unsafe food products can be difficult to prove because it requires complex legal issues, as well as detailed and comprehensive testimony of expert witnesses that are highly-trained in technical fields, such as food safety, microbiology and medicine.
At Ankin Law Offices, we are skilled Chicago unsafe food product lawyers who are familiar with these complex legal issues and well-equipped to obtain the factual testimony and evidence necessary to support a legitimate claim. If you or a loved one has become sick or been injured as a result of an unsafe food product, contact the Chicago product liability attorneys at Ankin Law Offices to learn more about a possible lawsuit to recover compensation for your injuries.
Other Helpful Links