The Social Security Administration recently implemented an online program that allows people to view their Social Security statements online. It unveiled this new electronic service on May 1, 2012.
What Does the New Service Provide?
This new service provides an easy and efficient way for Americans to view their Social Security statements online. Users can obtain an estimate of their potential Social Security benefits. Estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors benefits are included in the online statement. Specifically, the online service provides:
• Estimates of the retirement and disability benefits a person may receive.
• Estimates of the benefits a person’s family may receive when the person receives Social Security or dies.
• A list of the person’s lifetime earnings according to Social Security’s records.
• The estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes the person paid.
• Information about qualifying and signing up for Medicare.
• Considerations for those 55 years old and older who are thinking of retiring.
• General information about Social Security.
• The opportunity to apply online for retirement and disability benefits.
• A printable version of the person’s Social Security statement.
Benefits of the New Service
This new service brings many advantages for its users. The service is convenient, easy-to-use, and secure. It provides workers as young as 18 years old with a way to determine whether their earnings have been accurately posted to their Social Security records. (Previously, young workers could not do this because the Social Security Administration mailed paper statements only to individuals older than 25 years old.)
The New Service Is Considered a Success
The Commissioner of Social Security reports that this online service has been hugely successful. In only two months, one million people have viewed their Social Security statements online. These users seem pleased with the new service. The American Customer Satisfaction Index, which tracks the satisfaction level of the service’s users, reports that users are giving the online service a score of 89. That score makes the service competitive with other top-rated online services.
How to Use the New Service
In order to take advantage of this new service, a user must be at least 18 years old, have a Social Security number, have a valid email address, and have a mailing address located in the United States. Potential users can learn more and can create an account at www.socialsecurity.gov/mystatement. Users are also encouraged to look around the Social Security Administration’s website. In addition to this service, a website visitor can read useful and informational articles online. A website visitor can also apply for various benefits online with just a few clicks of a mouse.
Call a Social Security Disability Lawyer for Help with Your Request for Benefits
The Chicago Social Security disability attorneys at Ankin Law Office LLC help individuals with disabilities obtain benefits. You may contact us by telephone at (312) 600-0000. If you are disabled and need help, contact our Chicago Social Security disability attorneys.