The Chicago personal injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office, LLC want you to have a happy AND SAFE holiday. The following are some holiday safety tips to keep in mind:
- Never drink and drive. Not only does drunk driving result in liability for any alcohol-related accidents, but it can also result in jail time. If you are hosting a holiday party, do not let party guests get behind the wheel if they are intoxicated.
- Keep walkways in your home and yard free of holiday lights and other decorations. If a person trips and falls on electric cords or is injured due to a hazardous situation, you could be liable under the legal theory of premises liability, which says that property owners must take reasonable measures to ensure that their property is safe and hazard-free.
- Be extra vigilant regarding fires in fireplaces and with candles.
- Choose greenery with care. Poinsettias and other seasonal plants, such as holly and mistletoe, can be dangerous if ingested by children or pets.
- Choose safe and age appropriate toys. Choking is the leading cause of toy-related deaths. If you are shopping for young children under the age of 4, safety advocates recommend that you choose only those toys that could not pass through an empty toilet paper role (which is approximately the size of a 3-year-old’s throat). You should also make sure to read all warning labels and supervise young children.
- Avoid distracted driving. Drivers have a lot on their mind during the holidays. You may be thinking about the party you are about to attend or you may be wondering whether you will be on time to the holiday concert. It is important to focus on the road and to avoid cell-phone distractions such as talking on the phone and texting. Distracted driving is responsible for thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of injuries each year. Among those killed or injured in distracted driving accidents, nearly 1,000 deaths and 24,000 injuries cited cell phone use as the major distraction. While it can be tempting to want to call your relatives to tell them that you will be late to the party, it is far more important that you arrive safely.
The Chicago accident and injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office are dedicated to promoting safety and protecting the victims of personal injury accidents. If you have been injured in a personal injury accident, contact our office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule a free consultation with one of our Chicago personal injury lawyers.