Insurance companies are at the heart of any car accident lawsuit. At Ankin Law Office, LLC, our Chicago car accident attorneys focus on representing clients involved in motor vehicle accidents. As a result, we are highly conversant in the language and negotiating techniques of insurance companies. In short, we can “talk the talk” with the insurance companies in order to negotiate a favorable settlement on your behalf.
What to Do
- DO seek legal advice. The knowledgeable Chicago auto accident attorneys at Ankin Law Offices, LLC have significant experience representing the victims of motor vehicle accidents and we are skilled at handling the insurance claim process following an auto accident.
- DO review your insurance policies to find out what is covered.
- DO notify your insurance company as soon as possible following an auto accident.
- DO take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, if possible. You may also want to take photos of the accident site and your injuries.
- DO keep a detailed record of communications with your insurance company, including name of the insurance company representative with whom you spoke and the nature of the discussions.
- DO provide your insurance company with an accurate account of the auto accident.
- DO inquire about whether you have additional coverage, such as an umbrella policy, supplemental auto policy, or homeowner’s policy.
- DO retain any receipts and documentation associated with bills following the accident, such as a rental car, vehicle repairs, or medical bills.
What Not to Do
- DON’T assume that if the negligent driver is uninsured or underinsured, you are without recourse. Your insurance policy likely contains an uninsured/underinsured motorist provision, whereby your insurance company agrees to assume the role of the at-fault party and pay on your claim for any damages or injuries sustained in the accident.
- DON’T accept the insurance company’s estimate of your losses and damages until you have a chance estimate the losses and damages yourself. If you disagree with the determination of the insurance claims adjuster, you do have options. It can be helpful to contact an experienced Illinois auto accident attorney.
- DON’T sign a release or waiver until you have spoken with an experienced Illinois auto accident attorney like the attorneys at Ankin Law Office.
- DON’T cash a check from your insurance without notifying your car accident attorney and carefully considering your options.
Contact Ankin Law Office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule a free consultation to learn how we can advise you on how to deal with insurance companies following an auto accident.