If you are thinking of contacting a personal injury lawyer, it is likely because you or a loved one was injured in an accident. You are probably feeling scared, confused, and angry, among a number of other emotions. Making the decision to contact a personal injury lawyer is the first step in securing your financial recovery and protecting your legal rights.
But it is important to retain a lawyer who can represent your interests in the best possible way. Accordingly, there are several things that you should ask a personal injury lawyer to make sure that he or she is the right lawyer for you. For starters, you will want to ask the following questions:
- How much experience do you have? It is important to hire a lawyer who has the specific experience and knowledge to handle your type of case effectively. You should also inquire about whether the lawyer has trial experience, as well. Although many cases are resolved through settlement before trial, some cases do go to trial. Accordingly, it is important to hire an injury lawyer who is prepared to take your case to trial if necessary and fight to get you maximum compensation.
- How many successful cases have you handled? In order to support his or her claims of experience and knowledge, a personal injury lawyer should be able to provide supporting information regarding the cases that he or she has handled and the compensation that has been recovered for clients.
- How do you communicate with your clients? It is important to hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicates effectively so that you know what is happening with respect to your case and can make informed decisions.
- What are your legal fees? Most personal injury lawyers, including the accident and injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office, work on a contingency fee basis, which means that they will collect a portion of the financial recovery as his or her legal fees. But it is important to confirm that the lawyer does, in fact, work under a contingency fee and to find out whether incidentals (such as copies, postage, and filing fees) are an additional fee.
- What is the likelihood of obtaining compensation? While no personal injury lawyer should guarantee a specific amount of financial recovery – or guarantee recovery at all – an experienced lawyer should be able to provide a general assessment of the range of compensation that you could likely receive, along with the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
For more than 20 years, Howard Ankin has dedicated his career to helping the victims of personal injury accidents and workplace accidents, including auto accidents, medical malpractice, slip and fall accidents, and class actions. If you have been the victim of a personal injury accident, contact our office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled Chicago personal injury lawyers so that we can answer any questions that you might have.