If you are in a personal injury accident, such as a car accident, slip and fall accident, or a workplace accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can be instrumental in helping you get the financial recovery that you deserve. Finding the right personal injury lawyer can be difficult, however, and it is important that you know what questions to ask of a potential personal injury lawyer before you hire him or her.
The following is a list of questions that you should ask a personal injury attorney during the first consultation:
- How much experience does the lawyer have with your type of accident? It is important to hire a lawyer who has the experience and knowledge that you need to handle your case effectively. For more than 20 years, Howard Ankin has dedicated his career to helping the victims of personal injury accidents and workplace accidents, including auto accidents, medical malpractice, slip and fall accidents, and class actions.
- What is the attorney’s track record of success? Ask the potential personal injury lawyer to provide you with information about other successful cases and legal experience. At Ankin Law Office, we are extremely proud of our proven track record of success and can provide additional information during the initial consultation.
- How responsive is the lawyer? It is important to hire a lawyer who is responsive and communicates effectively so that you can make informed decisions about your case.
- How does the personal injury lawyer charge for his or her fees? Most personal injury lawyers, including the accident and injury lawyers at Ankin Law Office, charge clients a contingency fee, which means that they will collect a portion of your financial recovery in legal fees. If you do not recover, you do not pay. It is important to confirm that a lawyer does, in fact, use a contingency fee structure and to find out what the contingency fee is.
- What is the likelihood of success in your case? While an attorney will likely not guarantee success or provide you with a specific dollar amount that you are likely to receive, he or she should provide you with a fair assessment of your case, identifying strengths and weakness.
- What kind of information does the personal injury lawyer need from you? A personal injury lawyer will need certain information from you in order to adequately assess your claim and file the appropriate legal documents. For instance, you should find out whether your lawyer needs a police report, medical records, or employment information.
- What are the time limitations for filing a claim? Each legal claim has a statute of limitations, or time limit, on when the claim can be filed. In most Illinois personal injury cases, the statute of limitations is two years but you should discuss this with any potential personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
- How should you deal with an insurance company? Insurance companies are difficult to deal with even when you are dealing with your own insurance company. While you are under an obligation to inform your insurance company of any accidents, the information that can and should be provided varies. It is important to talk to your lawyer about how to communicate with insurance companies after a personal injury accident.
How Our Chicago Injury Lawyers Can Help
Contact our office at (312) 600-0000 to schedule your free consultation with one of our knowledgeable Illinois personal injury lawyers.